Archive for August 17, 2009
Last week, Jet Blue announced an All You Can Jet Pass for $599. The deal is that the pass allows you to, with certain restrictions, fly all you can stand on their planes between September 8 and October 8. Sounds pretty cool, eh? Well, there are some catches to it.
- All flights must be booked at least 3 days in advance.
- The passholder must show up for each booked flight, or all other booked flights will be cancelled and no new flights may be scheduled until a $100 no-show fee is paid.
- Only one flight per city per day may be booked.
- Flights can be cancelled/changed for free, but this has to happen at least 3 days in advance of the flight or you’ll pay the regular change fees.
- You can fly to JetBlue’s international destinations and Puerto Rico, but you’ll have to pay the taxes and fees.
So… it’s really only a good deal if you’re able to fly a fair amount within the time period, definitely won’t miss your flights, and plan to stay in the US. As it turns out, it seems as though I have the time to really utilize this deal, so I booked it on Saturday.
My current plan involves visiting 11 cities in 23 days. Since I’m unemployed, I have a strict budget of $400 and will be relying on my friends in these cities to schlep me around and feed me (to a certain extent) as well as to allow me to crash at their places. Fortunately they all have internet access, so I can keep in touch with my friends and family, continue the job search, and blog about my adventures. I am really glad for the option to change your flights with 3 days notice – that will allow me to scoot back to North Carolina if some lucky employer wants to interview me.
My current itinerary includes: Washington, DC; Denver, CO; New York, NY; Houston, TX; Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; Seattle, WA; Long Beach, CA; Las Vegas, NV; Salt Lake City, UT; and Portland, ME. This will start in mid-September, so be sure to check back then for updates.
Image from Baltimore Sun.